Blog Archive

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Lily-of-the-Valley


Every year when May rolls around I check on my Lily of the Valley, another favorite, when it comes for a brief visit. These bell-shaped blooms are delicate and delightfully scented hidden and set off among their large dark-green protective leaves. When I was a little girl I remember the bottle of perfume "Lily-of-the-Valley" with its large gold nob, that my mother carefully kept in her top dresser drawer. She kept it in its beautiful box with a picture of the flower and its name embossed on it. This, especially in the 1940's, was such a treasure given to her by her Uncle Isaac.

The Bible also speaks about this flower when referring to Jesus:

"I am a rose of sharon,
a lily of the valleys." Song of Songs 2:1
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the lily of the valley. I think that it is quietly understated. It's fragrance is gentle. I am enjoying your blog, Alice!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Marilyn for your encouraging comments...so good to hear from you. Now I want to encourage you to start blogging. You have a great way with words, and oh so much wisdom and so much to share from your part of the world. Alice