Blog Archive

Friday, July 11, 2008

Hydrangeas



The top photo is a close-up of a bloom on the above hydrangea bush. Hydrangeas are wonderful for filling up large spaces in the garden providing color variations as the blooms develop, interest and for providing great cutting flowers. It's best to wait, I've discovered, and let the flower mature before cutting or else it doesn't last more than a few days in a bouquet. Later on just before the first frost I cut huge bouquets, set them in vases with water until the water evaporates. As the hydrangeas dry I peel off the unsightly leaves exposing only beautiful dried flowers.


The blue hydrangeas are from a bush just a few yards away from the purple one. I'm told that the acidity of the soil determines the color. I've got six hydrangea bushes growing in various parts of the garden ranging from green/blue, blue, pink and purple and combinations of these colors.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: