Blog Archive

Saturday, July 5, 2008

Tasty Treats - gluten free

Since Al seems to be allergic to foods containing gluten and does so much better without regular wheat bread and other wonderful foods made with wheat, Jennifer has been vigilant looking for recipes, experimenting with new ideas and using us as welcome "guinea pigs". Through a sister who is a celiac we've been made aware of how complex that kind of a restricted diet can be. I take my hat off to her and to the many others who have to find their way through a maze of extra steps...and sticky fingers when using rice flour...in finding the right foods and balance that works effectively for them.

Today there are a myriad of gluten-free products available even in regular grocery stores. I've been using a white gluten-free cake mix called "Celimix". It is excellent warm. After I bake the cake and use what is needed, I cut the rest into serving-size pieces and freeze them. With just a few seconds of "nuking" the cake comes out beautifully and can be used as a great shortcake with berries and cream.

The following three recipes come from Jennifer. The rice krispie* treats are a real taste treat. The cornmeal muffins are wonderful when heated, to have along with a bowl of soup or as a snack. The "Dump Cake", which I don't have a picture for, is very delicious and goes a long way. I'll include the recipe here and add the picture later when I get around to making it.** Jennifer brought hers over right out of the oven...very yummy!

*Rice Krispies are not completely gluten-free because they contain malted barley.

Crispy Roll
Ingredients:

1 cup corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup smooth peanut butter
3 tbsp butter
6 cups Rice Krispies

1/2 cup butter, softened
2 cups icing sugar
1 cup cocoa
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Directions:

1. Bring the first 4 ingredients to a boil and then mix in the Rice Krispies. Press mixture onto greased parchment/wax paper in a rectangular shape about 1/4 inch thick. Let cool for 15 mins while you make the filling.

2. Mix the remaining ingredients in a small bowl with hand mixer until smooth. Spread over rice mixture and roll
as you would a jelly roll. Wrap in plastic wrap and refridgerate at least 30 mins before thinly slicing.



Cornmeal Muffins
Preheat oven to 425F. Grease 12 cup muffin tin
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup shortening, melted

Mix cornmeal, salt, baking powder and soda in a bowl. In another bowl, beat the egg and buttermilk. Add to dry ingredients, stirring until thin. Stir in melted shortening.

Heat muffin tin in preheated oven(5 mins). Spoon batter into hot tins and bake for 18 mins or until brown and crusty

I adapt this recipe somewhat by adding at least 1 tablespoon sugar. I fill the muffin tins to about two thirds to the top, then add 1 teaspoon raspberry jam, top with remaining batter and pop into oven.

Posted by Picasa



Dump Cake--Don't let the name fool you!
9x13 pan
350° Oven

Ingredients:

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple, undrained
1 box of yellow cake mix, or celimix
1/2 cup melted butter
Optional: almonds, coconut, flavourings

Directions:

1. Mix the tins of fruit in pan. Sprinkle with the cake mix(and nuts or coconut if using). Pour melted butter over the dry cake mix but do not stir together.
2. Bake at 350° for 45 mins, or until golden. Serve warm with whipped cream.

**Jennifer baked another Dump cake and sent me a picture of it in the pan and also served up beautifully in a glass dessert dish. Thanks Jenn! Very Nice.

Jennifer adapted it by using a "Celimix" cake mix which worked very well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually used 1/2 cup of butter, instead of the 1 cup the recipe called for. I don't know if it would work with just 1/4 cup but like any recipe, it is worth while to experiment if it can cut out extra or unneccessary calories. Like Confucious says, "more butter in dumpcake makes you dumpy"...or is it "person who cooks carrots and peas in same pot, very unsanitory"?
Jenn"Bob is a very good vegetable" Haak

Anonymous said...

I've changed the recipe on the blog now to match yours, Jenn...thanks for the heads-up on that. I knew you had cut back on the butter and didn't realize your recipe already reflected that. The dessert looks fabulous in those neat footed dessert dishes!