Blog Archive

Friday, July 18, 2008

Roses and Centerpieces


The carpet rose literally becomes a carpet cascading almost ten feet across at its base and tumbling across the lawn. From its loaded blooms I can cut off lavish bouquets of roses without penalty. The bush keeps blooming. Al doesn't like it sprawling onto the grass since it makes cutting the lawn cumbersome and almost guarantees a nasty thorn or two in the arm. The rose bush will need to be trimmed soon enough as the first blooms run their course but until then I'll simply hold up the drooping branches with a hoe so he can get at the grass underneath.

I love filling the old water kettle with these roses...it brightens up the side table on the deck while on the umbrella table I can place a small arrangement. This one also is contained in a small dressing bottle* and it became a little gift for my aunt when she was here for lunch the other day.
*see previous post An Arrangement-June 27

And in my "country kitchen" this colorful bowl** of fresh nectarines...oh the color, the aroma saturating the senses and quenching for the moment the inner thirst for beauty, fragrance and color.
Posted by Picasa

**In January of this year while vacationing in Nuevo Vallarta, this bowl and matching platter captured my senses and I was delighted to pay Antonia what he asked. He had his wares displayed on the beach and walked by every day with some of his fine wares. Near the end of our stay we ended up chatting with him and made the purchase. I'm so glad I did. God bless Antonio.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, those roses are beautiful!

I am sure that Antonio was so pleased that you enjoyed his creations and that you showed interest in him.

You are amazing, Alice!