Of course I really like the alyssum because it is hardy and drought tolerant and fills up spaces in flower beds in great profusion, off-setting red geraniums, hot-pink impatiens, or brilliant magenta petunias. As alyssum grows and expands rapidly, it is necessary to pull out and clip its borders. Early next spring I'll find a multitude of tiny alyssum popping up all over the flower beds. I like to catch them early enough and place them where I'll need them, since alyssum do better being transplanted when they're tiny.
But the greatest bonanza comes when the alyssum emits its sweet honey-scented fragrance on a hot summer's day, effusing its intoxicating scent with great delight and spectacular generosity throughout the garden, for all lucky enough to enjoy.
There are many other heavenly scented flowering shrubs, vines and flowers which I'll post separately.
ps for those following the blog I posted one today which I'd had in my draft folder and it kept the original date (July 12) and so it's in that chronological order now. Can anyone tell me how to adjust the date so that I can post items from my draft folder on the current date?




4 comments:
"Edit" the post in question, then click on the "post options" hyperlink in the bottom left corner of the post. It will make the post window a little longer and you can then manually adjust the post date over in the bottom right corner.
Thanks Dana...I just did it and you can see that "The Posy" is now the first post rather than way down in mid-July. Thanks so much for the tip...very helpful!
What a lovely piece on the Sweet Alyssum. I also
love the plant and the special scent it emits. It
reminds me of the 'good ole' days'. Have used it
often in among my flowers.
Love your blog - keep if going.
Thanks Herta, for your kind comments...it's great!
Post a Comment