The sound of a bulldozer,kept me wondering what was going on in the farm-belt right across the cul-de-sac from our place. Then I heard the unmistable "THUD" of a falling tree. In no time a great number of trees were felled and while it opens up the vistas there is something painful in watching these trophies of many years growth sink to their knees in the blink of an eye. I had taken pictures of this view three months ago (May 20 blog post) simply to record the shadows falling on our street from trees on our yard. Now I'm glad that I've got pictures of before and after.
Before:
After:
The Poem, Trees by Joyce Kilmer,learned in my high school years keeps ringing in my ears:
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.
I like to sit in my recliner when I'm on the phone and enjoy the view across the way while I'm chatting. It is tranquil and serene. I especially have enjoyed those tall graceful cottonwoods in the winter, when bereft of leaves they wave their bare arms, half of them swaying one way and the others in the opposite direction - it is a most amazing sight! It always reminds me of that couplet: "A tree that looks at God all day, and lifts her leafy arms to pray..."
There are still a lot of trees left but we've learned they'll all be taken down...the birds, racoons and squirrels will be scrambling. The city is encroaching...already we've not heard the coyotes for several years, and it's only a matter of time and this tract of land will end up as a housing development...but for now we'll enjoy the view.


No comments:
Post a Comment