...offerings they were, really,
chosen and bought with hard earned money...
...a beautiful ceramic caroler candle from Colin when he was in Grade 8, who just reminded us that he had spent $5 on that gift...lots of cash for a young teenager...this special seasonal candle comes out only for Christmas.
...a beautiful bell figurine in Limoges style...this was a Christmas gift from Jennifer when she was still in elementary school...she knew how much I enjoyed the several Limoges pieces I had collected over the years...Jenn reminded me lately that she had cycled all the way from our farm into Clearbrook, about 4 miles away, with a friend to buy this bell. Both girls bought a bell ornament as a gift for their Mom. But alas, Lisa had dropped her bell on the way home! What a terrible disappointment. I still have this bell although the clapper has already clapped itself into silence. I keep it safely in my display cabinet now.
Andrew, in his late elementary school years, lovingly presented me with this ceramic angel on another joyous Christmas. I now keep it next to all the children's wedding pictures.
For He shall give His angels charge over you,
to keep you in all your ways.
Psalm 91:11
Thanks, dear children. These treasures mean so much to me.... even much more so today it seems, since I look back from a different perspective and see how fast and relentlessly time proceeds and I see how you now lovingly receive gifts from your own sweet children. Very precious....oh yes, and what did Dear Dad get for Christmas...
...another large jar of dry roasted Planter's Peanuts I'm guessing, right?


2 comments:
Ah yes...the meaning of gifts. I once read a book by Paul Tournier on that subject. It does make me wonder and ponder.
Nothing wrong with a practical, consumable and shareable gift of peanuts though.
Happy New Year, Alice.
Hi Marilyn, I agree with you re consumable gifts...at this stage we really do appreciate those - no need to be concerned about how to look after it and/or where to put something etc etc. Shareable gifts are great. Thanks for commenting, my friend and a Happy New Year to you and Lou!
Post a Comment