Blog Archive

Sunday, January 18, 2009

An Outing


Canada -US boundary marker-from here we are viewing the USA side of the border along 0 Avenue

It's always an amazing feeling for me to drive along this route with a mere marker and a tiny ditch separating these two huge countries - Canada and the United States. I thank God for the freedom we enjoy without having to endure unsightly barbed wire fences. May it always be so.

As we left Abbotsford I again tried for that elusive perfect shot of Mt. Baker. The panoramic view of that mountain range was breath-taking today. Al and I, in our van, enjoyed a delightful picnic lunch, complete with a thermos of hot tea as we just drank in the gorgeous view along Mt. Lehman Road just outside the airport. As we left on our outing, we were rewarded by West Jet flying low overhead preparing to land...another sight I enjoy.

Our outing will take us to White Rock. I've been waiting for an opportunity to get a good shot of the Golden Ears. My camera can't get that gorgeous panoramic view of both the Golden Ears and the Garibaldi's which we see so readily along Gladwin Road. Here's one that I like...also taken from 0 Avenue nearing Langley.

Golden Ears

It was a stellar kind of a day..nippy but clear and brilliantly sunny...although the fog started rolling in later in the afternoon. I was thrilled to get a good shot of Mt. Baker from the Pier, a small part of the beach, and White Rock's white rock from a distance...





One of many gulls- This little fellow was pecking away at the barnacles and finding some savoury morsel there.

Sailboats

The White Rock in the distance

The Pier



A small wedding party...only the couple and photographers looking for the perfect spot for a picture. Later, I saw them again. The bride must have been so cold in her strapless gown and bare sandalled feet. But they were beaming. The groom had been carrying her bouquet of white roses when I first saw them at the East side of the walk and now, at the west end he still held onto them as they left in their big black dodge truck.

The sound comes before you can see it...the train...so cool to see it winding along the curved rails, then straightening along the stretch along the walk it thunders past the milling crowds...into the distance. Hoping to catch a picture of the caboose as it sped away, this is what I got!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful outing. Thanks for all the beautiful photos. Did you get to watch any traffic?? :)