It was exhilarating getting outside for a long walk today, after a hiatus of more than three weeks due to the snow. The air was fresh and almost smelled of spring. As I observed the stark deciduous trees bereft of foliage during the coldest months, this little poem came to mind:
The leaves are gone
The trees are bare
But next year's leaves are hiding there!
Such hope, such promise is borne in that last line. This hope of new life springing from what is seemingly dead is so comforting and engaging. I begin looking for signs of spring early in the year but was completely taken aback when on arriving home from my walk I noticed the ever-faithful snowdrops ready to burst with color among the red rock. Wow...I hadn't expected them so soon since we'd had a prolonged period of cold weather and lots of snow.
The Snow-drop,
Winter's timid child,
Awakes to life,
bedew'd with tears.
Mary Robinson
I decided to investigate my daffodils' home...yes, there they were...already a few hardy green shoots surfacing along the front steps. And so began my tour around the yard, something I love to do and do often but not usually in January.
Well there along the south walk were daffodils and hyacinths just surfacing ever so cautiously and all along the wall...bulbs springing up promising to bring such color and charm in just a little while.
January is the quietest month in the garden...
But just because it looks quiet
doesn't mean that nothing
is happening.
Sunset Magazine 1/99

3 comments:
Indeed! what a lovely surprise you found in your garden. Thanks for sharing these pics, commentary and appropriate verse.
It gives me a lift.
I do congratulate you for going to the gym. You'll be rewarded.
Cheers!
HT
How wonderful to see those first signs of spring. It stirs my heart and speaks to me of God's faithfulness.
I'm going to check my garden now. I love it when things start to pop in the Spring. I have had some incredible birds here this year. Some I have never seen around before. There have been Varied Thrush, Downy Woodpecker, Northern Flicker and numerous Chickadees and House Finches. Even the Bluejays showed up this year.
Post a Comment