Blog Archive

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Holiday Ring Cake




Posted by Picasa

Recipe
Beat together:
1 cup butter
8 oz. cream cheese
1 and 1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Add:
4 eggs
2 teaspoons lemon zest

Blend in:
1 and 3/4 cups flour
1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt

Add:
1/2 cup seedless raisins
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup mixed candied fruit
1/2 cup chopped maraschino cherries
1/2 cup chopped nuts
Mix the fruit first with 1/4 cup flour before adding to batter

Pour into greased and floured 10 inch Bundt pan.
Bake in 300o F oven for 70-80 minutes.

Cool in pan 10 minutes then turn out on wire rack. Dust with icing sugar when cool.

Many years ago Al's sister Olga baked this cake for us and gave us a whole Holiday Ring as a gift. It's a winner. Olga graciously shared her recipe and I've baked it often since. Yesterday was the day. I took the pictures late last night after hearing the most magnificent rendition of Handel's Messiah I have ever heard. It was electrifying and so inspirational. Then I enjoyed some of this cake with a cupa - very yummy! Al was in bed by this time, but no worries I'd baked him his favourite gluten-free Almond Blueberry cake of which he enjoyed a piece before hitting the hay. I will take pictures and post that recipe another time. It's also very delicious - rich but wonderful!

The little posy is made from Boxwood of which I have a lot. The day before I was given some carnations and I cut them down to make several of these little posies. Such fun!

Back to the Messiah, the reason for the season:

For unto us a child is born,
unto us a son is given,
and the government shall be upon His shoulders.
And he shall be called Wonderful Counselor,
Mighty God, Everlasting Father,
Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6

3 comments:

Andrew Willms said...

Nice work on the photos. It looks great. Wish we could be there hanging out with you. Happy Sunday.

Anonymous said...

This cake looks very festive!! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Advent is so rich with majestic praise music to God--i love it!! Hallelujah!!

Anonymous said...

When I saw the pic of the Holiday Ring Cake and
saw the lyrics you had printed it altogether
spelled Christmas for me - in fact, I felt my eyes
welling up but of course controlled myself. I don't
always = sometimes I give in to the emotions of
the moment.
Beautiful work sistah!

Herta