"O Christmas tree, O Christmas tree,
How lovely are your branches..."
It's always a highlight getting the Christmas tree set up. We've succumbed to the fake look for convenience sake for many years now. A star is what I like to put on as its crown since it was "the star" which led the wisemen to Jesus.
Looking back in a family album I see a picture, taken 62 Christmases ago, of my mother and six of her little brood around her with my baby brother less than two months old, cradled in her arms. A tiny, sparsely decorated evergreen tree boasting a few white homemade decorations and one glass ornament, is our Christmas tree -Weihnachtsbaum.
No twinkling lights grace its boughs as it stands safely behind a large chair. A collection of dolls and a homemade teddy bear of some kind nestle in a doll bed, while one perches in a toy high chair. So simple - so rich. Our hearts burst with joy as we sit primly in our designated places, hands folded, Christmas dresses in order, posing for the photographer, our Dad. We are a family, we are together, and we are so content. Dad had bought the Photo Studio in Winkler and moved his family from a tiny village into the town of Winkler six months earlier. Studying this photo now, with many photo shoots behind me, I can imagine the logistics involved in getting five girls ages 2-10 to sit up and smile while our dear Mom, holding her first son, was probably holding her breath hoping that all would go well, while the novice photographer was in action! Our first Christmas in Winkler - 1946. (I hope to scan that picture into here.)
Over the years I've received many beautiful ornaments which I treasure. I have many ornaments which I treasure but aren't so beautiful anymore, yet hold significance and meaning for me. I like to think of the person connected with each tree ornament as I hang each one in place. It's a very eclectic mix but interesting to me.
At Christmas time I recall an incident that happened at our Christmas Eve service in our church in Winkler when I was about 11 years old. While a young man was singing, "There's a Star in the East..." the huge, beautifully decorated Christmas Tree came crashing down, lights and all, landing in the aisle of the church. I don't think anyone was hurt but it did cause quite a stir!
A star for its crown...
and a manger at its feet.

No comments:
Post a Comment