I cut this recipe out of a flyer in our local paper this weekend. It was a regular recipe but I simply used the GF flour mix and Big Al gives me the thumbs up on this.
Now I know why our instructor at the GF cooking class told us to sift our dry ingredients. You can see the bumps on top of the baked cake. These kinds of flours clump together and I should take that extra minute to shake it through a fine sieve...wait, I don't even own a fine sieve anymore! But I don't think it impaired the taste.
I added the glaze using lemon zest and juice -complemented the ginger nicely. Al loves the icing and that's one thing he'd like more of on this cake.
I had the luxury of adding a spritz or two of whipping cream which Al doesn't indulge in, to lighten the strong flavour of molasses. I changed the recipe by:
*.changing it to GF flour,
.omitting cinnamon and using nutmeg instead,
.using oil instead of butter,
.using 2 eggs,
.a bit less water to compensate for the extra egg,
.and no crystallized ginger since I didn't have any.
I decided on the spur of the moment to whip up this cake as I took the roast from the oven. This gave us a nice hot spicy dessert on a chilly, rainy Sunday afternoon.
Recipe
*1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon baking power
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teapoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg
1/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup hot water
1/3 cup finely diced crystallized ginger
Blend all ingredients and beat until smooth. Bake in a 9 inch greased cake pan at 350 o for
30-35 minutes. Add icing sugar glaze according to your liking.

5 comments:
What a fine celebrative time. I can imagine the wonderful aroma emanating from your kitchen.:)
It was delicious and wonderful...we should have shared this meal with someone else today...next time! I didn't mention the wonderful acorn squash with butter and brown sugar or the mashed carrot and turnip combo with butter...very yummy. I was just totally experimenting with all this today and it turned out very well I must say! All the while we have this running game of Scrabble going. We start a game every wkd and just keep going until it's finished. Today as last wkd Al insists on finding all those triple red squares and capitalizing like crazy on them...don't know if I'll be able to catch him. It's my move so I better see what I can do.
Mmmmm!
I was just telling Andrew I'm in trouble at Christmas since you know how to cook wheat-free! ;) This confirms it...
Ev said: Speaking of food, Gerda sent out her MEI girls Christmas lunch anouncement. I guess your email came back. I dont have your new email address either. If you want to email us with your new address that would be great!!
Thanks for the heads-up, Ev. My bad-I haven't sent out the change, obviously, to everyone yet...now I must do that.
Post a Comment