Blog Archive
Monday, November 23, 2009
Western Red Flicker
What a lot of clout this Western Red Flicker wields in his habitat.
As I went over to my kitchen sink mid-morning I was stunned to see the side lawn filled with dozens and dozens of starlings all pecking away with gusto and flurry. As I was trying to figure out just what they were attacking in the lawn I was even more startled to see and hear the whole flock take off in flight as if on cue. Obviously they had not only been searching for lunch before the long trek South but were immediately ready for action when their sentinel alerted them to the culprit. This large Western Red Flicker, without any scary noises, just landed at the edge of the grass and nonchalantly started pecking away. I ran for my camera but couldn't get a good shot through the window. By the time I'd ever-so-quietly opened the door onto the back deck, he also ever-so-quietly hopped behind the hydrangea bush and out of sight.
This is only the second time I've seen a flicker in our yard. My neighbour Lyn, three doors away, feeds the birds and the flicker is a regular visitor to her backyard. He sure knows what he's doing!
I took this picture back in February when I was amazed at spotting him outside. I was always waiting for a better shot but I'll post this one today because it's this fella or his mate or cousin or friend that came to shoo off that multitude of speckled starlings. In the world of feathers, it's only a hawk or eagle I believe, that poses a threat to this large flicker. Quite the pecking order....
As I waited and listened on the deck to see if the flicker would reappear I was amazed and delighted to see and hear many different birds - towhees, robins, stellar jays, sparrows and chickadees- merrily chirping away and flitting through the trees. Are they all getting ready to fly South for the winter or were they anxiously scattering away from the flicker too? What amazing creatures! Reminds me of the childrens' song:
God sees the little sparrow fall
It meets His tender view-
If God so loves the little birds
I know He loves me too!
...and He does
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Good birding lesson, Alice. It seems to me as i age that i have more time and willingness to listen and learn about these unique creatures.
Post a Comment