This afternoon, on an impromoptu outing to Harrison Hot Springs, we were surprised and delighted to see four small planes roaring right above us. These planes were whirling just above the lake and flying in formation. It was bright and I hoped I'd be able to get a few shots before they disappeared, because it was so impressive. Immediately I remembered the poem, "High Flight" by John Gillespie Magee, Jr. which I'd learned in High School.
Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings...
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds...and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of...
Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air...
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew...
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
Check this link to get the complete poem, written by a very young man, and a history of this favourite poem among aviators.
http://www.prazen.com/cori/highflit.html
-click on the airplanes to enlarge photo-

1 comment:
You remind me of my father Alice. He always had a poem or quote for almost everything. I found it kind of puzzling at times. And amazing that he knew so much literature by memory. Now i treasure those memories of him so much.
Post a Comment