Blog Archive

Monday, October 19, 2009

Books and Things...

Left To Tell, the New York Times Bestseller published in 2006 by Hay House, Inc is the remarkable story of endurance, healing, and forgiveness inspite of the unimaginable terror, horror and deprivation that author Immaculee Ilibagiza experienced during the 1994 Rwandan genocide. Immaculee, a Tutsi, survived "...by hiding in a Hutu pastor's tiny bathroom with seven other starving women for 91 days. This searing firsthand account of Ilibagiza's experience cuts two ways: her description of the evil that was perpetrated, indcluding the brutal murders of her family members, is soul-numbingly devastating, yet the story of her unquenchable faith and connection to God throughout the ordeal uplifts and inspires. This book is a precious addition to the literature that tries to make sense of humankind's seemingly bottomless depravity and counterbalancing hope in an all-powerful, loving God." (Publishers Weekly review)

As it is with most books for me, I don't read them until they are "old news". The subtitle, Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust, is what this book is all about. My eyes were opened as I read. I felt so much grief and shame at humankind's capacity to hate and kill and I felt grief and shame at my own lack of compassion and knowledge of the dreadful situation as it happened such a few years ago. I could have and should have prayed for these people. Even after seeing the movie Hotel Rwanda early in 2005 I still didn't see the people as I should have. I have asked God to forgive me and to give me a heart of love and compassion for those in tough spots. This story did it for me.

I was blessed and encouraged while reading about Immaculee's struggle and subsequent triumph over anger and negative feelings which came upon her on her return to her village after the war ended. Deep anger and dark feelings washed over her as she saw the shallow graves of her mother and brother. But she resolved after a restless night not to let these negatives grow and fester within her. She says, "I would always turn immediately to the Source of all true power: I would turn to God and let His love and forgiveness protect and save me." A beautiful, heart-warming testimony of her unwavering trust in God. I'm glad I read it.


Other books I've read this fall are the Shiloh books by Bodie Thoene-three of them. These were first published in the early 90's. I had read some of the Zion series earlier and so found these Christian fiction books of the United States from WW1 through to the Great Depression of the 30's full of captivating historical facts, colorful characters and the themes of good triumphing over evil well developed. Glad I read these too.

Now to the things...of course books are things too...


...the garden...I've posted this picture before...but I really like it. I took it on September 2 of this year and got the lighting just right and the grass trimmed - thanks dear. Today as I started a thorough tear down of annuals and tomato plants ( still got to eat 4 or 5 lovely little tomatoes even as I yanked those unsightly stalks and roots out of the ground). I still thought the yard looked great. Shortly after 6 tonight I took this shot and realize now that summer definitely is over...but come on, it is October 19!

Summer good-bye
Summer good-bye-
You may no longer stay
Autumn is on her way-
Summer good-bye
Summer good-bye!

-a rather mournful little ditty which I learned in Grade 1 and still sing with fervour.

On a spunkier note...just a few minutes later as I looked out the window over my kitchen sink I noticed the whispy pink clouds to the southeast. It's such a great barometer and gauges for me where the sun is sinking in the west. The setting sun is not visible from our yard. I took this at about 6:15 from our front deck: "Abend Rot gut Wetter Bot" aka "Red Sails in the Sunset". A great promise for tomorrow!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Lou and Marilyn Sawchenko said...

What a lovely post, Alice! I am going to look for that book. It is a good thing to have our consciences rocked and understanding abit more of what people around the world are enduring. And isn't it a wonderful thing to be able to and have time to read? You balanced today's story with other beautiful things in your life...your flowers, the sky, things that are pure and good. Thanks!

katherine said...

you have such a beautiful yard! it is hard to see summer beauty go!