Blog Archive
Monday, October 5, 2009
Willms' Deluxe Raisin Squares - gluten-free
Since Al has become increasingly more sensitive to gluten and dairy products, along with a number of other foods, I've been trying to figure out how to use my regular recipes to meet his dietary restrictions. I was surprised and hopeful when he said we should try to make a raisin pie with a ground almond crust. Now raisin pie is his very favorite treat which he hasn't enjoyed for a very long time. So there I was remembering walnut slices of times past and my Raisin Tarts recipe (I always use the recipe from an old Five Roses cookbook). Mulling through these I got Al busy grinding two coffee grinders full of slivered almonds. He measured and soaked the raisins and found our 9x9 square pan. We were set.
Crust:
Blend together
1 3/4 cups ground almonds
1/4 cup celimix flour
1/3 cup softened butter
Press into a 9x9 pan and bake at 350o for 10 minutes.
Filling:
Mix together
.2 eggs
.1 1/2 brown sugar
.1/4 cup melted butter
.pinch of salt
.4 tablespoons Almond Breeze (milk substitute)
.1 teaspoon vanilla
.1 1/2 cups raisins
.1/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Spread over hot crust and return to oven for 20-25 minutes or until filling is set.
We only cooled it for a few minutes before we just had to see what it was like. It was delicious! By now it has set nicely and cuts into perfect squares. I had mine with just a bit of ice cream. Very tasty-rich, buttery and sweet!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That looks amazing, Alice. Wish we could come for a cup of coffee and that yummy raisin square treat. Cheers!
Would we ever love having you join us for coffee, Lou and Marilyn! It will happen again, in good time! Happy, happy Thanksgiving to you!
Post a Comment